Monday, January 12, 2009

Installed PSE 6 on EeePC 900HA netbook

I installed Photoshop Elements 6 on my netbook (see my 2008/11/17 blog entry) and it went smoothly. Of course, I don't intend to do any serious photo editing on the netbook since it only has an 8.9" 1024x600 screen, but when I travel it will be nice to occasionally do simple stuff and then resize so I can email a photo. The nice thing about PSE 6 is that it uses Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 which supports the raw format for my Sony A700 (and also my older raw files from the Canon 30D, Sony A100, Canon DRebel/300D, and Minolta D7i cameras) so I can convert raw files even when I am traveling. The EeePC 900HA has an option to change to a 1024x768 display and that turns out to be great because I discovered that ACR won't work with anything less. To use ACR I just made the quick switch to 1024x768 (there is an Asus tool icon in the system tray) and then used ACR. Not as convenient as a bigger computer, but that isn't the point since this isn't something I would need to do much. Just having the capability though is cool! I also installed a few PS plug-ins and they work fine too.

I am looking forward to doing some traveling and using the netbook to get wifi access and also be able to see some of the photos I take on the netbook's larger screen -- compared to the size of the display on the back of the camera.

2 comments:

Greg R said...

I've been using PSE6 primarily to process the RAW files from my Nikon D60. I'm considering an eeePC 900HA, and would plan to install PSE6 on it, so I'm delighted to hear that it works. Did you use an external optical drive to install it?

Henry Richardson said...

Hi Greg,

I copied the contents of the CD to a USB flash drive and then used that to install on the 900HA. It was all very simple. Of course, you need access to another computer that has a CD drive in order to do this. I have also installed other software this way on the 900HA. Another way is to copy the contents of the CD to a USB 2.0 external hard disk and then plug that into the 900HA.

I hope this helps.

Henry